Post Pregnancy Diet
Protein helps to lose weight
Sources of protein
Lean meats, fish, pork, beef, eggs, chicken, dairy products, nuts, seeds and legumes supply the most protein to your diet.
Protein keeps you full longer
Protein slows down digestion and takes longer time to leave your stomach, so you feel full quicker and for a longer amount of time. When this happens over a span of a few days, calories savings could assist in weight loss.
Calories burnt when protein is digested.
Food that you have eaten need to be digest and metabolized before the food can be absorb into your body. This process is known as “thermic effect of food” (TEF). Thermic effect of food is much higher in protein (20-30%) compared to carbs (5-10%) and fat (0-3%) . In other words, abort 20-30% of the calories from protein that you have eaten are burnt when your body is digesting and metabolizing the protein. Conclusion is that you will only end up with 70% of usable protein calories.
Weight regulating hormones
An area of your brain known as hypothalamus actively regulate your weight. Your brain processes multiple types of information to ascertain when and the quantity of food to eat. A higher consumption of protein step up your satiety (appetite-reducing) hormones, peptide YY, cholecystokinin and GLP-1 while depressing your levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin. This will automatically reduces your hunger and calories intake because you will be eating less which will assist you to lose weight.
Protein promotes muscle growth and repair
When weight is reduced, it is not only the fat that is burnt but muscle mass also decreases. While achieving weight loss goals, what you really want is only losing the body fat both under the skin and visceral fat (around the organs). What people do not want is losing muscle which is a side effect of weight loss which leads to decrease in metabolic rate. In other words, you end up burning less calories than you did before you reduced the weight. During this process it is especially important that you continue to eat enough protein in your diet to reduce muscle loss, which should assist in keeping your metabolic rate high as you lose body fat.
Drink lots of water
Making sure that you are not dehydrated is essential in achieving your weight loss goal. Water assists in flushing out impurities, toxins and also the extra fat. Aim for at least eight glass of water daily. Consider replacing or cutting down on sweet beverages such as sodas with water. Water fills you up suppresing your appetite. Some studies show that it assist digestion and speed up your metabolism. Placed containers filled with drinking water around your house so that drinking water is within reach effortlessly when you need a drink.
Another effective way of staying hydrated is to have soup in your meals at least three times a week. They are nutritious, filling and usually low in calorie.
Eat lots of fiber
Besides consuming a higher content of protein in your meals and drinking adequate water, incorporating lots of fiber in your meals does assist in your plan on how to lose baby fat after giving birth. Fiber adds bulk to your food, a key component in both reducing weight as well as maintaining a healthy weight. Besides, fiber assists in digestion and preventing constipation. You will feel full faster. The feeling of fullness will stay with you much longer as fiber stays in the stomach longer than other foods. By adding high content of fiber such as vegetables and fruits which are low in calories to your meals, cutting calories would be simpler.
Fiber intake also assist in weight reduction by regulating your blood sugar levels. By regulating blood sugar levels can assist in maintaining your body's fat -burning capacity and avoid insulin spikes which can result in you feeling tired which will lead to craving for unhealthy food. Fat moves through your digestive system at a quicker rate resulting in less fat being absorbed if your intake of fiber is high. You will also have more energy for workouts when you consume on high fiber foods.
Fibers can be broken down into soluble fiber and insoluble fiber.
Insoluble fiber is in the structural components of vegetables, grains and also skins of fruits. It provide bulk to your stools. Colon contents are moved in a timely manner because of the presence of insoluble fiber preventing constipation and clearing of toxins. Whole grains and whole wheat contain large amount of insoluble fiber.
Soluble fibers can be found in most fruits with the exeption of the skin which is insoluble. Most vegetables contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. The pulpy parts of vegetables are soluble fiber while the structural tougher fibers are insoluble. Oatmeal, barley, oat bran and legumes are other common soluble fibers. Soluble fiber intake supports blood sugar and healthy cholesterol metabolism.
Most vegetables are a combination of insoluble and soluble fiber. Tougher fibers which are the structure of the vegetables are insoluble, while the pulpy parts are soluble. Fruits are mostly soluble fiber with the exception of the skins (example apple skin, which is insoluble). Other common soluble fibers include oat bran, oatmeal, barley, and legumes. A frequently used fiber supplement psyllium, is 70 percent soluble fiber and 10 percent insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber consumption supports healthy cholesterol and blood sugar metabolism.
As a general rule, a diet high in whole grains, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit and legumes is vital for getting adequate dietary fiber assisting in healthy cholesterol and blood sugar metabolism and weight loss.
Keep a record
Keeping a record on what you eat is a good idea. Food journals help you to become aware of your eating patterns and rules, assess why you eat and decide where you should make changes. You can do it the tradisional way by writing on a booklet or a writing pad. Alternatively you can use your notebook, tablet, online file or even your smart phone to log in all the food and snacks that you have eaten. Keep the food journal with you and do not leave it at home. Record down after you have eaten including the sauces and the portion sizes before you forget. Review your food journal every 2 to 3 days whether to increase or decrease on the types of food or cut back on your portion sizes. Compare your weekly weight loss journal entries to assess your progress.
Reduce alcohol and carbonated beverages
It will be difficult to lose your stomach fat if you consume high amount of sugary carbonated drinks or alcohol. Excessively sugary refreshments and mixed beverages, for example, beer can play devastation with your liver, making it troublesome for you to build muscle mass which is an important factor to fat loss. Have you heard of the phrase “beer tummy”? Comsumption of beer can cause weight gain at your belly. Drinking low sugar or zero sugar beverages isn't a good substitute either as aspartame, an artificial sweetener may be used as substitute which may cause terrible side effects like headaches or migranes and can lead you to crave for more sugar. It is difficult to deceive your body which is a lot smarter.
Finding time to prepare meals can be challenging at times with a new baby at home. Home cooked food is better than buying cooked food. Try to allocate some time during the week-end to prepare food for the coming week. Divide them into individual servings and put them in your freezer. Just heat them when you consume the food. Request help from your spouse or other members of your family for help to watch over your baby while you do the work in the kitchen.
Well balanced snacks
It can be challenging for some new moms to sit down to have three meals a day. Be that as it may, everybody has time for an apple or a modest bunch of almonds or peanut butter with slices of banana sandwich. Hold no longer than two to three hours between mini meals with no less than five a day. Your blood sugar will plummet if you hold longer than that and you may make bad choices. As a dependable guideline, have a nibble each time your child breastfeeds or a bottle of formula milk. This will keep your metabolism revved up and burn the calories to the maximum.
Eat smaller portion but more frequent
Instead of having 3 large meals daily at the frequency of 5 hours between meals, eat smaller portion but more frequent. Eat every 3 hours 5 times daily. Food will be processed faster and utilized if food is consumed in smaller amounts. By having a smaller meal every 3 hours, your metabolism stays revved and your body burns fat instead of muscle. Your body is also less inclined to hold onto calories as your starvation protection system is not triggered. Starvation protection system will be triggered when your body has digested all the food and does not know when food will be coming. Your body feels threatened. When this happens your leptin levels ( a hormone that liberates stored body fat ) reduces and only release energy in order to sustain your most basic bodily functions from your fat cells. Your fat burning ability will be distrupted in order to preserve energy. Your body may even start to store the nutrients/energy in your fat cells for later use which will result you putting on weight.
So instead of having 3 large meals where your body has more than enough energy for its function and the excess energy will be stored as fat have more frequent small meals which deliver manageable amount of energy consistently throughout the day to be used immediately and not stored as fat for future use.
Below is a list of great food that you need to consider for post pregnancy weight loss that will likewise keep you in awesome general wellbeing. They are rich in nourishments that not just have awesome measures of minerals, vitamins and cancer prevention agents yet that will likewise help you to reduce weight.
- Broccoli. Broccoli has ended up known as a cancer battling food, however it likewise has numerous other medical advantages. It is extraordinary for weight reduction since it is low in calories, contains a decent measure of protein and is a supply of fiber. It is supplement stuffed with high measures of vitamins C and K and also folate. Furthermore Broccoli contains vitamins A, B6 potassium and a few more nutrients.
- Salmon. It is a great source of protein which is low in calories (lower than chicken). Salmon contains heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids and also low in 'bad' fats like saturated fats and also low in cholesterol. It is additionally rich in vitamins B12 and D and has good measures of potassium and vitamins B3 and B6. Choose wild Alaskan salmons for its lower risk in contaminants.
- Blueberries. An excellent weight loss food as blueberries are low in calories and rich in fiber and they are also additionally high with disease battling phytonutrients which bring advantage to your general wellbeing. Furthermore blueberries are packed in vitamin C, manganese and also high in vitamin K.
- Spinach. This vegetable contains a lot of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. It is low in calories and is an execellent source of protein and fiber. It comes stacked with vitamins K and A and also folate. Minerals that are contained in this vegetable include iron, calcium and potassium.
- Kidney Beans. They are likewise high in protein which adds to keeping you feeling full for longer period of time. Furthermore kidney beans are heart healthy, nutrient-rich and are great in post pregnancy weight reduction as they are low in fat and calories and packed with fiber. Also a good source of potassium, magnesium and iron.
- Yogurt. Probiotic non-fat plain or Greek yogurt is best for you wellbeing. Be cautious of the yogurt with added fruits as quite a number of them have the tendency to be stacked with sugar also. Greek yogurt is awesome in light of the fact that it has more protein in it than regular yogurt. The drawback is that it contains less calcium than the regualar kind. Yogurt can be an extraordinary snack to help you reduce weight since it fights off craving. It is important that your pay consideration on the substances of sugar, protein, calories and fat in its contents. For sugar content, pick 15 g or less per 100 g serving, for calories, settle on 130 or less per 100 g serving and for fat, choose yogurt that has 2 g or less per 100 g serving.
- Green Tea. It is extremely gainful drinking plenty of healthy fluids to lose postpartum weight. Obviously drinking plenty of water is good but green tea is additionally an incredible choice. It is brimming with antioxidants and reseach has shown that it may prevent several types of cancer. It has zero calories which is great for weight loss. On top of this studies have shown that green tea contains catechins, theanine and caffeince that promote loss of body fat.
- Almonds. Numerous may contend that almonds ought not make the greatfood list for post pregnancy weight reduction due to their high fat content. Monounsaturated fats which is the 'healthy kind' is the fat contained in almonds. Almonds are incredible on the off chance that you are attempting to reduce weight since they are awesome source of protein and fiber. Almonds have additionally gotten to be known as a nourishment that assists in reduction of body fat, especially fat at the stomach. These little pieces are morever an unbelievable increadible source of magnesium and Vitamin E.
- Black Chocolate. It is must be dark chocolate that is good for you and not different sorts, for example milk or white chocolate. Dark chocolate is loaded with flavonoids (which is a type of antioxidant) which is useful for you. It can likewise fulfill you when you have a longing for sweets. Purchasing a decent quality sort with at least 70% cacao content is recommended. Typically the higher the cacao content, the lower is the sugar. Bear in mind that dark chocolate contains a quite a bit of calories so eat in moderation and it can be good for you.
- Oranges. This delicious natural product makes the superfood list since it is high in fiber and low in calories. Its great source in vitamin C is advantageous immune system, assisting in keeping colds at bay. Likewise, oranges contain great measures of folate, calcium and postassium.